13yo Westie has extremely itchy muzzle!

My old West Highland White Terrier has never had issues with his skin at all but has always has been prone to bad ear infections that have to be controlled with cleaning and medical drops. He's never had dry skin, allergies etc. But over the past year he has began to itch his muzzle like crazy! I've had him to the vet & groomers multiple times (Which has been a fortune) and neither can put their finger on what the cause is. The skin on his muzzle doesn't look irritated or sore but he itches and rubs it ALL the time to the point where the hair on his muzzle's being burnt away with all the friction and sometimes he even cuts his nose. He is currently being fed on Wag Complete and when he goes to the groomers I make sure they bathe him in his medicated shampoo and don't use any perfume-y products on him. I'm honestly at my wits end and just want releif for my poor dog!

If anyone has any suggestions or even answers for me it would be greatly appreciate, thank you! :)

Asked by Member 1173961 on Jun 6th 2013 Tagged muzzle, itchy, westie, old, angus in Health & Wellness

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Okay, there are a few things you can do. First, switch all cleaning products and laundry products to natural, unscented brands. Nuzzling in a blanket with apple mango tango whatever can make the dog sensitive. I am not familiar with Wag brand food, but Natural Choice has a 100% skin and coat improvement guarantee within 2 months of use. I would recommend the sensitive skin and stomach variety in fish (purple bag) for you. It's like sushi for dogs, and the fish oil is in it naturally which can help. Next, do you spray your own lawn? Change to less harsh chemicals, and don't let your dog in the yard within 48 hours of a spraying. If you don't know, find out because your dog may be nosing something which irritates his snout. Next, liberally apply paw pad cream or oil to the snout. Maybe it is just dried out from licking and the winter weather, and he needs lotion (not human) to fix it. Finally, feed healthy small breed or senior treats, not junk food like pupperonis, etc. ^_^

Pineapple Smushface answered on 2/16/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer