A few weeks ago, the girls at Rebecca Ray Designs sent me one of their dog food bag-inspired handbags in bright orange, and I was instantly enthralled with the Pointer featured at its center — and intimidated by its size. At 17 by 20 inches, the bag truly could house a substantial amount of dog food, and it dwarfed most of the totes in my closet.
I took it for an inaugural spin on Black Friday, where it proved to be a trusty companion in the face of San Francisco’s new checkout bag ordinance. Since then, it has become my go-to work bag because it easily fits a laptop and all my odds and ends.
Here’s what I keep inside if you’re feeling snoopy:
1. My work laptop, Dogster stickers and all. The computer is also home to a bumper sticker that reads “My Italian Greyhound Makes Your Honor Student Look Slow and Awkward.”
2. A worn-out Poodle pouch by Lulu Guinness, which houses all my emergency odds and ends (tissues, tampons, lip gloss, headphones for when I’m on the bus and want to tune everything out).
3. A really sweet handmade Christmas card from a dear friend in Singapore. She drew my dog, Moxie!
4. My phone. These days it lives in a Toy Poodle silicone case from Steadfast Friends. (We’re doing a giveaway with Steadfast Friends over here if you want your own.)
5. My wallet, a scuffed-up Kate Spade sale item featuring the Hazzys dog keychain that Community Manager Lori Malm gave me. I think of her every time I see it.
6. Keys for everything, including my 6-year-old Yaris and the office front door.
7. Sunglasses and a cleaning kit for my eyeglasses.
8. A massive scarf. I always have one with me: layering is the No. 1 rule for dressing when you live in San Francisco. This one, a 2010 fall edition from SWASH London, might be my favorite of all time.
10. Not pictured: Pills. Hypertension capsules, mainly. Also, these immune system support drops recommended to me by our lovely columnist Jula Szabo.
11. This dog bandana I bought for Moxie from Wildebeest.
12. Poop bags — because you never know when you’ll need ’em.
13. A box of mints! My sugar addiction is well documented.
Dogster Readers: What are your dog lady essentials? And do they all fit in your bag?