Dogster is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

Can Dogs Have Grape Jelly? Vet-Verified Facts & FAQ

Written by: Grant Piper

Last Updated on April 9, 2024 by Dogster Team

Can Dogs Have Grape Jelly

Can Dogs Have Grape Jelly? Vet-Verified Facts & FAQ


Dr. Amanda Charles Photo


Dr. Amanda Charles

BVSc MRCVS (Veterinarian)

The information is current and up-to-date in accordance with the latest veterinarian research.

Learn more »

Dogs can get into a lot of different foods. One food that dogs might accidentally get into is grape jelly. Grape jelly can be dangerous or dogs because the jelly contains grape products. Here is everything you need to know about dogs eating grape jelly, including what to do if they eat some, the ingredients in grape jelly, and the toxicity.

If your dog has eaten a noticeable amount of grape jelly and you are looking for immediate help or information, you should stop reading this and call your veterinarian right away.


Can Dogs Eat Grape Jelly?

Dogs cannot eat grape jelly. Dogs should never eat anything that contains grapes. Grapes are toxic to dogs, and ingesting any grape product has the potential to be dangerous, including grape jelly.

grape jelly jam
Image Credit: Amelia Marriette, Shutterstock

Grape Jelly Ingredients

  • Concord Grape Juice
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • Corn Syrup
  • Fruit Pectin
  • Citric Acid
  • Sodium
  • Citrate

Grapes Are Toxic to Dogs

Grapes contain a compound in them known as tartaric acid, and it is now thought that this is the likely toxic component to dogs, causing acute kidney damage. Unfortunately there is no known toxic dose for dogs, with no clear link between the size of a dog and the amount of grapes eaten that will cause serious effects. Also the amount of tartaric acid in grapes can vary hugely. Currently there is no known ‘safe dose’ of grapes or grape products.

Therefore, dogs should avoid ingesting any type of grape or grape product. That includes raw grapes, raisins, jams, jellies, and candies. That also includes things like Uncrustables, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, cakes, and pastries. Anything that could potentially include grapes should be avoided at all costs. For maximum safety, you should avoid keeping any grape products in the house if you have dogs or certainly keep them well out of reach of curious canines.

cluster of grapes
Image Credit: Pixabay

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Grape Jelly

If your dog eats grape jelly, you should first evaluate the situation, but do not panic! Panicking never helps in a situation. How much jelly did your dog eat? Was it a single lick, or was it a whole bagel smothered in grape jelly? The second thing you should do is consider the time. Can you get into your vet right away? You should contact your regular or emergency vet straight away for advice. The veterinarian will be able to assess your dog, decide whether it is appropriate to make them vomit, give activated charcoal, and other treatments such as intravenous fluids.

You should not try to induce vomiting in your dog unless advised by your vet as it can lead to serious complications.

Signs to Look Out For

As the toxic dose is not known for dogs, some dogs can eat some grape material and be fine, while others can become very unwell.

Here are the signs that may develop if your dog eats any type of grape, including grape jelly:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration

Please note – you should not wait to see signs of toxicity before getting your dog seen by a vet. Treatment is critical, and the timeliness of treatment is also critical.

vet holding a papillon dog in his arms
Image Credit: Di Studio, Shutterstock


In Conclusion

Dogs cannot eat grape jelly. Grapes are toxic to our canine companions, and ingesting grape jelly may cause toxicity and serious kidney damage. You need to be careful not to let your dog have access to any grapes or grape products. If your dog eats grape jelly, you should consult with your veterinarian right away and follow their advice.

See Also:

Featured Image Credit: Zigzag Mountain Art, Shutterstock

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.
Dogster Editors Choice Badge
Shopping Cart


© Pangolia Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved.