Dogster is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. Learn more.

My Dog Ate Coffee Grounds – What Should I Do?

Visit your vet ASAP. Signs of toxicity (restlessness, hyperactivity, vomiting and agitation) can occur within 30 minutes after your dog ate coffee grounds, sometimes progressing to tremors and seizures.

Written by: Cindy Howle

Last Updated on February 4, 2024 by Nicole Cosgrove

Portrait of puppy sitting on female owners knee at kitchen table

My Dog Ate Coffee Grounds – What Should I Do?

The danger of coffee toxicity depends on the amount of grounds eaten versus the weight of your dog, says Dr. Natalie Isaza DVM, owner of Access Veterinary Services in Florida.

Knowing this information saves valuable time.

Regardless of your dog’s size, a dog eating coffee grounds is an emergency, whether your dog rummaged through the garbage or swiped chocolate-coated coffee beans off the counter.

“The first thing to do is to call your veterinarian, or if after hours, call the pet poison control hotline,” Dr. Isaza says

dogster face divider

Calling poison control after your dog ate coffee grounds

The veterinarian or poison control will want to know information about the incident and your dog to figure out the toxicity level.  Quickly jot down this information before calling:

  • An estimate of the amount eaten.
  • An estimate of your dog’s weight.
  • The approximate time when the coffee was eaten. Transit time through the gut is important.
  • Signs of toxicity (restlessness, hyperactivity, vomiting and agitation). These can occur within 30 minutes, sometimes progressing to tremors and seizures.
Dachshund coffee date by iStock.
Dachshund coffee date. Photography by iStock.

24/7 animal poison control options

Is caffeine bad for dogs?

Caffeine is not dog-friendly. “An average cup of caffeinated coffee contains 95-160 mg of caffeine, and the toxic dose for dogs is around 25 mg per pound of body weight. Coffee grounds may contain more caffeine, simply because of the concentrated nature of the grounds,” Dr. Isaza says.

Dogs are more likely to consume something tasty, but some will eat or chew on anything. Keep all K-Cups, coffee-laced food, including used or fresh grounds, beyond your fur pal’s reach, says Dr. Isaza. Don’t forget about coffee grounds placed outside as mulch around plants; grounds can be ingested while foraging for other things.

When your dog consumes any amount of coffee in any form, immediately contacting your vet or poison control with the right information is Plan A.

Featured Image Credit: Grace Chon/ Getty Images

Get Dogster in your inbox!

Stay informed! Get tips and exclusive deals.
Dogster Editors Choice Badge
Shopping Cart


© Pangolia Pte. Ltd. All rights reserved.