Otis - Dachhund mix

Yesterday my dog totally embarrassed me by digging a big hole near a new garden.I went and bought them 3 pkts of seeds.

I just bought a new apartment & moved in 2 weeks ago. I waited 4 weeks before he was approved. The other 11 residents said they were fine with me bringing a dog in. We are on ground floor and he barks at people coming & going. There's a dog in unit block next door who barks all day long. My dog sometimes barks at this dog and other times ignores him. However, now a few residents who work night shift are getting a petition to include de-barking in the rules, conditions of which none of us has seen, should have been issued before the approval. I contacted my two vets they believe de-barking is illegal and they certainly wouldn't do it anyway.They have those sprays to calm & they also have barking collars (not citronella). He goes to boarding & apparently is quiet there. If they put order in for de-barking, I will sell, even though we've only been here 2 weeks after staying with my daughter & her kids for 8 weeks. 2 verbal rules:carry him around common property & not to be on his own

Asked by Otis - Dachhund mix on Dec 7th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

What they mean is not having your dog's vocal chords altered like your vet thinks from your explanation, but that with constant barking complaints, they can make you sell (which is totally legal). However, there will either be a grandfathering in of the rules or a grace period in which you have time to rent and/or sell. I hear from people that their dogs are "great" when they bark all day or poop on other people's property, so I can understand the concern. Ensure that your dog is leashed in common areas (that is the law) and you can give calming treats and spray, chews, put on a calming collar, buy pheromone spray, etc... whatever works. Your dog looks terrier-ish, and they are known for being barkers. Happy Howli-days! ^_^

Ichabod

You have a Terrier and are surprised it digs ! :O

Ichabod answered on 12/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

If he was being properly supervised, how in the world did he have time to dig a big hole??? If properly supervised, you would have seen his first starting to dig and stopped him right there.
Sounds to me like he IS being a problem, just because there is also another dog barking doesn't excuse his barking.
I would think hiring a trainer to help work on the barking and making darn sure he wasn't outside ever if not supervised should solve most of your issues.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 12/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Winston Smith

He really shouldn't be on his own in common areas. The digging shouldn't have happened if he was supervised.

If the other dog is barking, warn their owners about the possibility of the other residents making him sell because of their dog's barking.

Train him to ignore the dog and teach him the "quiet" command. When he barks, make a loud noise (he'll stop barking) and reinforce. Say "good quiet" or similar. Once he learns quiet, every time he starts barking, tell him to be quiet and reinforce :). And reinforce every time your dog ignores the other dog!

Winston Smith answered on 12/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer