Would someone be kind enough to relay the Pros & Cons to becoming a Dog Breeder?

I know this is a touchy topic, but I have done extensive amounts of research about dogs. I've worked with dogs for many years and am very knowledgeable about many dog breeds. I narrowed my searches and found that if I did become a breeder I would be most interested in breeding Pomeranians in the Philadelphia metro area. Any tips would be nice.

P.S I'm well aware of what happens in shelters and how rescues work thanks

Asked by Member 1072142 on Nov 21st 2011 Tagged breeding, pomeranians, philadelphia, pennsylvania, prosandcons in U.S. Northeast

Answers

That's what I made my website for, here:
cookiemiller.tripod.com
I'm not an expert and don't claim to be, however I have researched this topic quite a bit and talked to dog breeders via forums, including the ones of this site.

I'm interested in becoming a breeder as well, but not anytime soon. Too much else to concentrate on. One day.

One of the most important things is to find a GOOD mentor..someone who has been breeding QUALITY dogs for years. This person will be your lifeline/godsend. Having a knowledge of breeds is a start, but you also want to know every possible detail about poms...health issues, temperament issues, ease of whelping (as in natural vs caesarian).
Cons...a money pit..it is VERY expensive to breed quality animals. Money for testing can run into the thousands of dollars.
Having a lot of money in reserve in case of trouble..like when your bitch starts having difficulties & you need to get a vet out there ASAP.
There is a risk of death to your bitch & her puppies
You must be prepared to find good homes for all progeny..& take them back for any reason during the life of the dog
Ask yourself why you want to breed...are you adding something to improve the breed?
Hopefully Toto will come along..she will have a lot of info for you.

I'm not anti-breeder, and I don't think most Dogsters in general are either. We're just anti-BAD-breeder.
I don't breed dogs myself, but if you want a straight-up pros/cons list, I'll try.
PROS:
Get to "play God" with your dogs- it's immensely satisfying to see dogs you bred doing well
Learn a lot networking with other people in your breed, and the "dog fancy" in general
Get to play with puppies :)

CONS:
It costs a lot of time and money
You will have zero social life outside of other "dog people"
It will break your heart when a female dies in labor, or you lose a puppy, or your favorite dog doesn't pass health clearances and can't be bred
You have to be dispassionate about your dogs- you can't keep all your favorites
Having to sell puppies- always worrying if they're doing okay

Also hope Toto pops in here. She's been breeding dogs for something like 30 years.

Here I am, but you guys are doing fine!!!
Pros.... that satisfaction when a nicely bred dog YOU planned for and researched for wins and becomes a champion or an obedience titled dog.
That's about it for pros... except for the relationships you build with other breeders.
The biggest mistake anyone makes is that they can make money breeding dogs.
My most recent experience was with Georgie. First, showing her to her Championship to prove her worthy of being bred- $3500, next, OFA knee and LCPD testing $300, DNA for PRA testing $200, regular eye exam $50, vWD testing $50, Pre-breeding exam including brucellosis testing, $150, Stud fee, $1500, Boarding and travel to get to stud, $250.
Pregnancy ultrasound, $125.
Emergency trip to vet for birthing complications including ultrasound, $350, 2nd emergency visit to vet for dead puppy removal $450...
total loss: nearly $7000. Final blow, Georgie was spayed due to uterine defect present from birth.
Sadly, this happens all too often.

Starbutt

I think you need to see the dog you plan to breed with I was to breed my bulldog but in seeing one breeders dogs they had inflamed wrinkles my bulldog never had this, another didn't have papers but claimed they were AKC register I never bred not being able to find what I was looking for. You need to see papers and the lines and you need to see if they have good lines. I also considered the C section and the pups and food and shots and all that goes with this.
I opted not to for this reason I also was to breed for pups not money and this is wrong but at the time I reckon I was stupid I am wiser now THANK THE GODS, I am not down on breeding but I feel if you breed can you say what kind of life the pups will have and if for some reason the pups can't live with who ever took them can they come back. I had a litter with one dog and all pups went with the conditon if they can't keep them whatever age, they are returned. The dog on the picture is the one that had pups she spayed now.

Starbutt answered on 11/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer