Duke

Would shaving ruin my Golden Retriever/Siberian Husky's strange coat?

First off, I have no intention of shaving him, this is merely out of curiosity. He is a Siberian Husky/Golden retriever mix with a weird fur type.

I live in Florida and have been constantly asked why I won't shave him. My answer is always that he has no problem with the heat and (from Husky experience) I don't want to ruin his natural heating/cooling system by damaging the undercoat. I'm not entirely sure if that is accurate for him though. When his coat is fully blown after winter, it is similar to a Golden's but more hair like than fur like(longer and stronger strands than the Goldens I've directly compared him to that vaguely remind me of blonde hair) from outer layer to inner. In winter he gets a thick husky-like undercoat(exactly like the pure bred Siberians I had before him), but only in winter.

Does anyone have any facts/opinions/experience about this?

Asked by Duke on Jun 3rd 2013 Tagged goldenretriever, siberianhusky, furtype, strange in Professional Grooming

Best Answer

Becca, there is absolutely NO COMPARISON between cutting a single coated dog like a Yorki shorter in warm weather and shaving a double coated dog like a husky. It isn't even as close as apples and oranges.
Duke has it right...YES, the coat WILL NOT grow back the same and YES, he will be hotter as that coat regulates his temperature. Shaving those types of coats only expose the poor dog to sunburn and insect bites and heat stroke.

answered on Jun 4th.

Answers

Your own answer is completely correct!Don't let anyone guilt you into shaving him.

Becca

Well, don't worry about how guilty you feel, and put the Dogs health and well being first.
I have Yorkies who have beautiful long coats, and I groom them very short (#7-1/4") during the summer months. I do my last short clip in September/early October, and their coats are out full by the time cold weather arrives. All Dogs coats grow quickly, and you will not damage anything by addressing this issue responsibly.

Remember, you have a "Cold Weather" Dog, in a hot weather climate.

Becca answered on 6/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Mika

He is going through blow out stages and everything so my best answer would be not to shave him.
You are right in knowing not to shave a Husky ( I do realize he is not pure Husky) But still, he has a double coat and yes they have their own cooling system. The main thing you can do for him is, regulate exercise times till evenings or early mornings, when sun is not so bad, and air conditioning indoors helps a great deal as well, plenty of cool fresh water, and your good to go

Mika answered on 6/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Faith (CGC)

I work at a groomers and hate it when people bring their double coated dogs in to be shaved. Not only does it look ridiculous it thins and ruins their undercoat.

Faith (CGC) answered on 6/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

One of the biggest concerns when shaving is that the dog’s fur becomes very thin, revealing their sensitive skin. This means they can easily get sunburned. Unlike people whose skins normally develop melanin to help guard against the sun’s effects, dogs rely on their fur to protect their skin.