Rex

Would a puppy or adult dog be right?

We recently lost our 13 year old cocker spainel(Female) awhile back. Her bestfriend Rex(Male),(cocker spainel)who is 9 years old is heartbroken. We've decided he needs a companion. Hes very playful. Were just not sure if he would get closer to a puppy or an Adult dog. Female or Male? Help?

Asked by Rex on Jul 20th 2010 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Well, you know your dog best, but my opinion would be an adult..maybe 5 or 6 years old. That way you aren't spending a ton of time devoted to puppy stuff & can make sure Rex gets his one on one time with you. Plus, he won't have that aggravating puppy antics to deal with, but can still play. as to the sex, again, go with what you think Rex would be comfortable. I've always had males, but that's just my preference! When you adopt an older dog you might get more background info to help with your decision. Make sure to take time with introductions. My condolences on the loss of your old gal. Good luck & don't rush into anything.

Brutus

I'm very sorry for your loss of your Cocker Spaniel. Getting another companion for Rex would be a good idea if he accepts the new dog or puppy. I would suggest getting a younger adult dog, around 1-3 years. Older dogs often become hesitant and annoyed when there is a puppy in the house, but Rex could react differently.

This is all up to you and your family. If you think Rex would like a puppy in the house, by all means, a puppy would be fine. I would reccomend a female puppy or dog. Two dogs of the same gender (i.e. male & male or female & female) are likely to get in to fights.

Please paw mail me if you have any questions and I hope you find the perfect dog or puppy!

Brutus answered on 7/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. I think a puppy may be a bit to much for a 9 year old dog right now. Then there is always the chance he may not like a new dog no matter what the age. You really know your dog the best so I think you need to make the decision of what is best for them. I do wish you the best and i do hope you find a good companion for him.

Gunner

I'm really sorry for your loss. Its hard getting over the loss of a pet.

I think you should look up www.petfinder.com and find when the local rescue group goes to petsmart. You should look at everything they have available and ask the fosters about temperment/playfullness. Your decision should be based on similarities between your pup and the new one.

I would (personally) find a medium sized adult female. A rescue that goes through fosters should have one that is already housebroke, and half-trained! That takes off lots of the stresses of a new puppy, and it gives a slightly more mellow friend for Rex!

(I work in rescue ;-D )

Gunner answered on 8/11/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Well, because the dog is older, you would probably want a dog around it's age. If you want a dog it can still play with but will stay with you for a while, a 4-6 year dog may be supurb. In my opinion, the boys are more mellow. Puppies will sometimes (most of the time) play a little too playfully with the older dog. I am sorry that your cocker spaniel died, but congratulations on welcoming a new dog to your family!