Will our puppy have socialisation issues? Should we take her anyway?

Hi, my family and I are getting a golden retriever puppy. We have found a breeder with 6 week old puppies. 4 of the 5 puppies have already gone to their new homes at just 6 weeks. We are considering taking the remaining puppy. I am unsure of this age, as I am aware it is the stage where a puppy learns to socialise with other dogs and is taught by its mother. We could leave the puppy a couple of weeks with her mother, but will this do any good with no litter mates around?

Asked by Member 1050064 on Aug 30th 2011 Tagged puppy, age, socialize, socialization, socialise, socialisation, littermates in Puppies

Answers

SNEAKERS

Don't worry about the socialization, you can do that later. That Puppy should stay with it's mother another 6 weeks !
There's health issues to consider, which will be diminished by the longer association.
If they don't want to do that, then suggest that you take the Mother and Puppy for that period, and return the Mother to them later.

SNEAKERS answered on 8/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Amazing Grace

I wouldn't take the pup home until at least 9 weeks old. It is my belief the dam still has more to offer and teach the pup.

Amazing Grace answered on 8/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Just me, but I wouldn't buy from that breeder...though if I was in your shoes, it'd be mighty tempting, I have to admit. (When I was looking for a second dog a few years ago, I nearly decided to get one from someone who I knew was not a reputable breeder, just because I tend to be an impatient person.)
My question would be, though, if they're willing to let the puppies go so early, do they really know what they are doing? Did they even have the parents fully health tested? There are plenty of other questions which should be considered before choosing a breeder as well.
Here's a list of some examples of these questions: cookiemiller.tripod.com

Good luck.

Lexie

6 weeks if a fine age to get a puppy I have got all my puppys at 6 weeks and they all have done great.

Lexie answered on 8/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Candy 4/13/99 - 2/8/09

You got a mixed bag of answers, and must be confused by now.

Legally - There is no state in the USA where it is legal to sell a puppy or remove it from it's mother before 8 weeks of age. Any "breeder" that doesn't follow the law, may have cut other corners, like vaccinations or worming. Yikes!

In some states you can't even give puppies away for free before 8 weeks old.
The only exception is if the mother dog dies or rejects her puppies.

Will your puppy have social problems if taken home at 6 weeks? Not likely if you socialize with other dogs, but that assumes the parents were good tempered dogs. If Dad or Mom are poor temperament, the puppies will be as well.

If you are committed to the puppy, no matter how it turns out, go for it. If you have high expectations, rethink, or refuse the puppy and find another, more reputable breeder.

Candy 4/13/99 - 2/8/09 answered on 8/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gia

6 weeks is way too young, they're just learning to eat solid foods and really get around at this age, you shouldn't bring him home until he is AT LEAST 8 weeks old, make sure this breeder knows what she's doin becuase most professional breeders will make sure their puppies are ready, make sure he's healthy.

As far as socilaization goes its pretty easy, puppies are like little sponges when they're little, the more you socialize, the better!

Gia answered on 8/31/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Good breeders will be sure their puppies don't go to homes before 8 weeks. A puppy can leave it's mother at 8 weeks. I wouldn't take her at 6 weeks, she should still be nursing. As soon as she is 8 weeks, start training and socializing her. Get your puppy from a good breeder, though. I don't think you'll have any trouble, but I don't know the puppies or the breeder, so I wouldn't know but most puppies just want to explore and socialize so I don't think it will be a lot of trouble.