Will my son be safe with a Border Collie mix?

We are planning on adopting a 6 month old Border Collie/Smooth Terrier plus others mix resue. We have a fenced yard and an eight year old son. People have been telling me horror stories about BC's. Now I'm rethinking the rescue. What should I do?

Asked by Member 1109397 on May 5th 2012 in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

Josie *Forever in Our Hearts*

I got my border mix from a rescue when my daughter was 7 years old and she is the greatest dog! Josie is smart and loving although VERY energetic. My daughter and her went to dog training classes for obedience and then agility. The main problem that I had was Josie liked to try and "herd" my daughter (nipping at her heels, running in circles around her, and barking at her). That is why I had my daughter start handling her in obedience class. Josie learned to respect her and my daughter got to start showing her in 4H. My daughter learned how to handle a dog and made lots of friends. If you have already met the dog and you and your son are willing to train the puppy starting soon after you get it (Josie started at about 6-7 months in obedience class), you will be fine.

Josie *Forever in Our Hearts* answered on 5/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Maggie

Well, some things to keep in mind.
1, This dog is NOT a purebred BC, so horror stories probably don't apply. The most intense BC behaviors often are diluted in crosses with more typical pet breeds.
2, he may not be part BC AT ALL. Many shelters label any tuxedo-pattern medium-sized dog a BC mix, though many other breeds/mixes can inherit that pattern and size.
3. BCs can be GREAT with kids, depending on the kid and the dog. An active kid who takes an interest in training and playing with the BC can be a match made in heaven. BCs just REALLY suck as "back yard dogs" "status symbol dogs" and play toys that can be picked up and put down on a whim. They need intense exercise and attention every day.

So my final advice is to get to know the dog for itself and evaluate whether it will be a good fit with your family. How active is the dog? How sensitive? How tolerant? How active and dog-savvy are YOU? Evaluate the situation as you see it, not based on stereotypes.

Maggie answered on 5/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Kevlar

As with any dog early training is a good idea. Get the two of them into puppy class as soon as he has had his last set of shots. About 4 months. I am sure the two of them will florish. Have fun.

Kevlar answered on 5/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer