will eating cat poo make my puppy sick?have outside strays I feed

I have a malti poo, that I let out on rare occassion without being on a leash: we have stray cats that we feed; the dog searches out cat poop and wants to eat it, why? also will this make him ill? Is there any remedy for this? Also he would rather sniff around for a half an hour, rather than do his business: any way to break that habit?

Asked by Member 732995 on Sep 10th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Can you break this habit - yes. Will it harm you dog in eating cat poo - depends. Your dog has made a habit of this, and lots of dogs will want to eat cat poo. When you let your dog outside, don't let him off of the leash. If he tries to eat the cat poo, pull and tell him 'no'. Be careful that you don't just pull when he is sniffing because he could be sniffing to go potty himself. Don't allow him to try to eat the cat poop. Is the cat poo in your yard? If so, I would reccomend cleaning it up, even though it isn't yours, but so your dog doesn't get into it, nor does he have the opportunity to. If you are outside of your yard, then you don't have control of where it lies, but you can keep your dog from getting to it. Keep him on a leash until you have solved the issue. Even after the habit seems to have disappeared, it may always pop up again when you let him off of the leash, so make sure you are very patient and consistent. Message me if you have more questions - good luck.

I would be worried about intestinal parasites or disease, obviously these stray cats have had no vaccines or deworming. I would keep him on a leash so you can watch what he is doing. Good luck.

DaVinci

It's best not to let him eat it, as the previous poster said, since he could pick up intestinal parasites and other nasties.
The reason he is probably attracted to it is because commercial pet food is full of lots of fillers and additives that aren't fully digested when eaten by dogs or cats, which makes it more... "attractive" to dogs. Some dogs are just prone to eating feces regardless.
However, you may also want to take him to the vet to ensure that he does not have a nutrition deficiency - this can also cause him to want to eat feces in an attempt to get more nutrients.

DaVinci answered on 9/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer