Bella

why wont my puppy pee where she needed to... help me please.

I have been pretty good about taking her to the pad. while on the pad I will tell her to do her business she will pee a little some. after I will praise her and tell her good girl, but before I know it she is squatting and peeing on the carpet. I get mad at her and tell her no Bella bad girl. it hurts me to yell and get up set but she needs to learn that she needs to potty on the pad. today alone we had 4 accidents in one morning and I don't know what this after noon has in store for us. can some one please tell me what I can do so she can learn quickly. Thank you so much

Asked by Bella on Dec 31st 2012 Tagged pottytime in Puppies

Answers

Mika

First, I dont agree with the puppy pad method, since you will be training them to outside ultimitely. But to each their own. You cannot scold her for having an accident, it happens, same as toilet training a child, if you scold your pup she will only be scared to pee and start peeing in hidden places you can't see because she thinks she is doing something wrong. When you catch her mid stream of her pee pick her up take her outside or puppy pad immediately and show her the spot she is suppose to do this. If you dont catch her simply clean it up with a proper cleaner and dismiss it. If her scent is in the house...she will continue to pee in the house. When she does go in the right spot praise and give a yummy treat. She will catch on, but the worst thing is to make her scared of you when she has to go. Watch for her warning signs, my puppy will do circles sniffing the floor, when she does this I take her out right away. Know your puppy's body language and you will pick up the signs.

Mika answered on 12/31/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

At just four weeks old this puppy cannot control her bladder and is far too young to even think about being housebroken.
She should still be with her mother and her littermates, learning how to be a dog from her mother and just nursing and sleeping.
A four week old puppy normally sleeps 22 out of every 24 hours if they are allowed to remain in their litter as nature intended. The other two hours are spent eating and playing with her littermates, which is how she learns important aspects of life.
Yelling and getting mad at her is not going to help one bit, she is just plain too young to have any bladder control at 4 weeks, most puppies stay in their litter until at least 8 weeks and it still takes several more weeks until they are old enough to begin controlling the urge to urinate.
If I were you, I would return her to her litter so she has a chance to grow up and get the critical education from her mother and her littermates that will be so important to her future life. She is