why wont my dog sleep through the night

I have to go to bed early for work and i put him in the crate ~9 and hes unhappy but he sleeps till 12. At 12 he wakes up and screams and I let him into the bed for the rest of the night. i realize i should ignore him but I'm in the city and its too loud to leave him barking, i ear the police coming. He has exercise during the day. I think he just is not interested in sleeping , he only ever naps for up to 3 hr sessions.

Asked by Member 615051 on Mar 31st 2008 Tagged night, sleep in Behavior & Training

Answers

Lily

How old is he? Are you wearing him out and making sure he has enough to eat in the evening? Are there any lights on, even the alarm or anything? Try putting a sheet over the crate. Good luck.

Lily answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Daisy

You are also training him that if he crys at midnight, you will pick him up and put him in your bed. Anything you do on a consistant basis with him becomes routine. That is what he knows to do.

If the dog is a small breed dog, it might not be able to hold it for a very long time.

Daisy answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Loomis

As long as you react to his whining whether it's negative or positive he will continue to whine. You don't mention the dogs age but if your dog is a puppy he will wake up to potty every few hours. No matter his age and if he has all his shots, you might try taking him to a Doggy Daycare during the day or finding someone that can walk him later in the day so he is tired and will sleep throughout the night.

Loomis answered on 3/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is typical of a small puppy. If he is indeed a small pup, he will eventually get the hang of sleeping through the night. What you have to be careful of, though, is that you don't reward his demanding behavior. He wakes up and wants you to wake up, too. If you come running, he learns that this will get me mom/dad to come to me. Try perhaps ignoring the pup until he has quieted down.

If he is an older dog, he may have separation anxiety. Dogs with SA do not like to be left alone or out of their owners' sight for long periods of time. You may want to work with a trainer to fix this though. They can make a schedule based entirely around your needs.

Good luck and I sure hope you get some sleep soon. BOL!

Bam Bam

you have to decide if he's going to sleep in your bed all night or out in his crate. yes, they will whine for a few nights or even a few weeks but you have to HAVE TO ignore them! Otherwise what might seem like a short term solution will become a long term problem.
Make sure you tire him out before heading to bed. Let your neighbors know you are training your dog and you apologize about the noise. They should understand you can't get miracles to happen in one day.

Bam Bam answered on 4/1/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer