Why was my shihtzu born with short hair?

why was my shihtzu born with short hair? She was the only puppy in the litter with short/smooth hair. She is gold and white. where can I get information about this?

Asked by Member 936907 on Jan 9th 2010 in Shih Tzu

Answers

Boo

For the same reason that some babies are born bald and some are born with a full head of hair.

I wouldn't worry about your pups hair right now. Trust me, it will grow in time and you will be brushing and brushing and brushing.....

Boo answered on 1/9/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

that is their puppy coat. As they mature the coat will grow out make sure to keep up with the brushing and keeping the coat clean.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shitzu

Actually, I am the proud owner of two short-haired Shih Tzus. They are brother/sister from two different litters. There is a naturally occuring flaw in some pure-bred Shih Tzus that can cause this type of hair. I actually think it's a benefit because you can see my dogs faces and I don't spend a lot on grooming. The kennel club has been watching this trait and trying to oust the carriers of this gene.