Kasha

Why the recent increase in white "junk" in corners of my healthy dog's eyes?

10 year old healthy terrier has more than usual "schmootz" in eye corners. I gently wipe with soft wet tissue and her eyes are clear and clean.
No known 'allergies,' no other symptoms or irritants.
Doesn't bother HER, she doesn't rub, scratch or favor her eyes in any way. Just a little yukky looking.
What could this be from?

Asked by Kasha on Sep 13th 2013 Tagged eyes in Health & Wellness

Answers

I am worried it could be an infection of some sort. Make sure you take your dog to the vet so that an accurate diagnosis can be given.

I agree with the concern about infections, but also here in the Midwest we've had record pollen counts and people who typically don't have significant allergy symptoms are getting them now. Could be your dog has the same thing happening. Either way, it's worth a trip to the vet, particularly for a lovely senior dog. If she'll let you put a warm compress on them a couple of times a day, I would do that, too. Usually they'll let you do this because it feels really good.

Arya

Pick up a saline solution eye cleanser from the pet store. It could be she has some sort of particles in her eyes that are irritating them.

When we got our kitten, I had to flush out her eyes for a while because she kept getting hair and things in them and they would produces this gunk that would collect in the lower eyelid.

Flush the eye with cleanser, and wipe up the gunk with a soft tissue or toilet paper. You can gently pull down on the lower lid to see if there's any gunk still in there.

If that doesn't work, take her into the vet. :)

Arya answered on 9/17/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer