Rin

Why isn't my dogs mange getting better?

My 10 month old puppy was diagnosed with demodetic mange a few months ago and was given medicine for it, but now 3 months later it looks like its getting worse. Should I take her to another vet?

Asked by Rin on Feb 24th 2014 Tagged mange, puppy, medicine, demodeticmange, dog in Skin Problems

Answers

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

Demodex mange is the result of a problem with the dogs immune system. There are treatments that can help the immune system overcome it, but ultimately it depends on your dogs immune system to cure it. Drugs will not cure it on their own.
I would probably schedule a consult with a good holistic veterinarian for suggestions on diet changes and other lifestyle changes to help build up her immune system. Things to avoid include anything which stresses her immune system...things like vaccinations, unnecessary drugs, and the like.
Most dogs will overcome demodex on their own with dietary changes and a more healthy lifestyle, but sometimes it takes longer.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 2/28/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer