Ash

Why is my puppy so restless?

Now I know that my dog is still a pup (6 month old dane mix to the best guess of our vet) and will have lots of energy but no matter how long the walk or the play, he still seems restless. Right after an hour long walk or play session, when he is obviously winded, he will still be extremely excitable and will whine, pace, pester the cat, or run in circles around the room. Other than some odd aspects of his personality that I don't fully understand, he seems to be a pretty intelligent dog. Either I can't keep up with ensuring he is physically occupied or I don't know how to keep him mentally occupied. I feel like I could spend every minute I am not sleeping or working trying to entertain him and he would still need more. I don't want to be at his beck and call but he seems to get more mischievous the longer he is bored. Is this just purely an aspect of his age or am I doing something wrong?

Asked by Ash on May 26th 2011 Tagged puppy, restless, behavior, exercise in Exercise

Answers

It's his age and personality. My Tigger was the same way and he's just over a year now. He is still very high energy. He has calmed down some but for a long time he would play and play and it became annoying. I would walk him til my legs hurt and he would come home and run laps in the house. He still run laps but not as often and it's cute so we don't mind. We have a bigger yard now and he has more mental stimulation than before.

Do you have a kong? If you don't have one get it soon. That will keep him busy for a while. We have two. Try finding some toys that he has to work at to play with. We are lucky to live in such a big house, when he bothers us we just throw a ball or something and keep it up til he tires of it. Love your comment about not fully understanding odd aspects of his personality. lol. I can relate.

He may just be a high energy dog. Makes life a little more exciting:)

I would try something mentally stimulating, like a basic obedience class. I think you might be surprised at just how pooped a dog can get from all that thinking! :)

Manchego

I think tiring him out mentally as others have suggested is a great Idea. My dogs love the game outlined in this post.

www.dogseparationanxietycure.com

I use it on rainy days when none of really want to go out and walk and they LOVE it and it tires them out very much! I think with time he will calm down but you need to physically and mentally tire him out as much as possible for now!

Good Luck!

Manchego answered on 5/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer