Why is my miniature poodle scratching and licking all the time?

Its not fleas. I am just wondering if it is skin allergies or if I am using the wrong kind of doggie shampoo. What kind should I be using? I have changed her food and she is also getting a multi vitamin to help with her coat.

Asked by Member 640733 on Jun 4th 2008 in Skin Problems

Answers

♥ Jack ♥

She could have a skin allergy. If her skin is dry you can use a oatmeal based shampoo or your vet can give you something. A good high quality dog food is best. www.dogfoodanalysis.com

♥ Jack ♥ answered on 6/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take your pup to the vet for an exam and an allergy panel. This will tell you what is to blame for his itchy skin.

If you wash your dog frequently, it's possible that you're seeing dry skin caused by too frequent washing. Dogs don't really need to be bathed often.

You could try a "medicated" shampoo designed for sensitive skin. Look for something with oatmeal, aloe, and tea tree oil, as all of those help soothe dry and itchy skin.

If you want to supplement, you will want omega-3 and omega-6 fatty oils. A combination pill of fish/flax/borage oil works very well, and you can buy it at the "people" store in the nutrition aisle. Make sure to give Vitamin E whenever you give fish oils, so they can be absorbed properly.

♥GRACIE

actually the frequency of washing is quite helpful if you have skin allergies. We see a veterinarian dermatologist and right now he has us bathing twice weekly with his recommended shampoo and a cortisone leave in treatment once a week, and OTC antihistamine given 3 X a day. We are seeing less scratching right off the bat. This is the least invasive route. The panel they test for is just environmental allergies. he said there is a blood test for food allergies but that it is only 16-24% correct, so unrelaible the specialists don't use it.

I'd talk to my vet about it and if it's so bad she never seems to quit, I'd sure think about asking to be referred to a Vet. dermatologist. Good Luck.

♥GRACIE answered on 6/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer