Gizmo

Why is my long-haired Chihuahua losing his fur????

My Gizmo is 1-yr-old,and yesterday I noticed that he is losing his fur on the area on his head, just in front of his ears.
Does anyone knwo what could be causing this?? He is my precious baby and I am very worried about this...any answers would be much appreciated.
(We will be taking him to the vet asap, but any quick response know would help calm me down a bit...)

Asked by Gizmo on Oct 26th 2007 in Shedding

Best Answer

It is good that you are taking him to the vet to get this checked out.

But, don't panic.

If he's healthy and happy otherwise (eating and playing and sleeping like normal) it is more likely just a skin condition that can be caused by fungus, allergic reaction, contact allergy or fleas or mites.

Usually, a topical medication can help control or eliminate this.

I would be worried, but I don't think anything horrible is going to be wrong with Gizmo.

Hope that made you feel better. :-)

Jack answered on Oct 26th.

Answers

Bentley

If the hair loss is next to an ear, I would be cautious of an ear infection, or some type of ear problem, at least. How about fleas? It's pretty late in the season for them, but they're always a probability.

Bentley answered on 10/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Scarlet

My first guess would be either food allergies or flea allergies. Make sure he doesn't have fleas and it not constantly scratching at those areas (they would be red and raw, as well as hairless).

What kind of food are you feeding? Is it high in grains/corn? Try something higher in protein and grain-free; that may very well be the issue.

Bringing him into the vet is always a good thing, too.

Scarlet answered on 10/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer