Why is my Frenchie food aggressive towards my younger Frenchie?

Thanks in advance. Our older dog is 5, and the younger is 3.5 yo. The older was fine with food and other dogs when she was younger. We got the younger when she was a puppy, and after about a year, the older started getting food aggressive with the younger. Food can be in their dishes all day (sometimes they skip a meal) and as soon as the younger goes to eat, the older will lunge and start a fight. It's like she waits by the dishes, looking to start a fight. She also sometimes gets snippy at the dog park (usually with bigger dogs). Both are spayed females. The younger is as sweet as pie. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

Asked by Member 1142570 on Nov 27th 2012 Tagged aggression, frenchbulldog, food in Aggression

Answers

I would not keep food down all day. I would set a feeding time. Supervise them while eating and pick it up after 10 minutes whether they're finished or not. I face my 2 in 2 separate corners in the kitchen so they can't see each other while eating. Mine are not food aggressive, but Koby likes to push Kali out of her dish. This prevents any future problems.