Sonny

Why is my dog still scratching?

I use a tick and flea shampoo, collar and drops on him but he still scratches. I bath him every 6 days. Why is he still scratching?

Asked by Sonny on Aug 17th 2009 Tagged ticks, fleas, collar, bath, shampoo, scratch, scratching, dog in Flea & Tick Prevention

Best Answer

I would stop bathing him so much that alone is too many baths.
It is drying his skin out.
Only lightly brush him
Also you are washing off the drops.
Only drops are neccessary to prevent fleas.
Flea shampoo that often can give him large sores on his skin and make him possibly sick.
So, be careful I wouldn't bathe him for awhile.
Also, after say a week or two of no bathes you may see him get better if not, consider an allergy to his dogfood also.

Dieta answered on Aug 17th.

Answers

Daisy

Yes I agree try not to bath so often for one thing and I dont recommend any flea/tick shampoo. It can be harmful I work as a groomer at a vet clinic and the vets refuse to use any flea shampoo its made with to many strong toxic stuff. When bathing Id use something more gentle look at earth bath products. www.earthbath.com also sold at pet smart. Look at his skin is it red and irritated looking? Is there white flakes. Could be dry skin. Try adding salmon oil to your dogs food that will help dry skin. It could also be food allergies or outdoor allergies.

Daisy answered on 8/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My groomer told me when I take my dogs a bath leave the shampoo on them then put essential oils on them ( Cedarwood, Geraniam and Evergreen ) and leave the shampoo and the essential oils on them ( put 1-2 drops of Geraniam, 1 drop of Evergreen and 1 drop of Cedarwood on there coat ). Put the dog in his crate and wrap a towel around him for 10 minutes and leave the essential oils and shampoo on the dog. after 10 minutes get the dog out of his crate and put him back in the bath tub and wash all of the shampoo and essential oils off. This will keep your dog from getting fleas and ticks for over a week. It works on all my dogs. After you get your dog dry put the same amount of oils on him. This works great! Good luck with Sonny!

Gixer

There are many answers to this one. My Brother Konig is allergic to fleas so even if one jumps on him and bites and dies from the frontline..he will still scratch for a while..but also a brother of mine that went to a new home had food allergies and always scratched so it could just be the kind of dog food you are using.

Gixer answered on 8/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer