Evan

Why is my dog leaking urine?

My 5year old beagle mix has recently started leaking urine in the past week or two. I notice them after he has been sitting on the couch or in our bed. Its usually a spot anywhere from the size of a quarter to about the size of a softball. He doesn't seem to notice and he seems pretty normal other than licking himself a little more than usual. Any ideas as to what this is or what we can do?

Asked by Evan on Aug 13th 2009 Tagged urine, accident in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Hilda, CGC

Sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. He could have a UTI, or the beginnings of some kidney problems, or who knows what else. Any of these problems are easier to deal with if discovered early, so take him in as soon as you can.

Hilda, CGC answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lexie

I agree I would take him to the vet.

Lexie answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Fritz

Go to the vet and get checked. I had the same problem and it turned out to be a weak sphincter muscle. I have some meds that help me have better muscle tone and I no longer leak. (I was tested for other problems before getting my medication) I am now down to ΒΌ of a pill twice a day. Hopefully I will be able to wean off of them in a few month.)

Fritz answered on 8/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sometimes it has to do with the spay incontinence
here is a link
www.associatedcontent.com/article/275982/methods_for_handling_spay_incontinence.html
Our big dog has displayed that two times so far.
If you are thinking the dog may have UTI I would take her in for that also. To be safe:)