Why is my dog eating ONLY my mom's underwear and socks??

I have had my shih tzu for almost 4 years now. She's 5 years old and has NEVER chewed anything that isn't edible. In the past two months, she has started to chew through some of my mother's underwear and a couple of her socks. My dog doesn't try to chew any of my clothing. So I'm wondering why she is only chewing my mother's things and not mine? Besides trying our hardest to keep socks and underwear away from her, is there anything else we can do to prevent her from chewing socks and underwear?

Asked by Member 1068513 on Nov 4th 2011 Tagged socks, underwear, chewing in Chewing

Answers

Otto

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you but I can tell you that my sister's dog does the same thing! He will weed through her laundry and ONLY take out her underwear and eat them!! If you put other people's underwear in with her's he still only eats hers! I know socks and underwear are articles of clothing we wear that really hold our scent so that may be why. I like to think it just means he really really really loves my sister. The only way to stop him from eating the underwear is to get a hamper with a top he can't open.

Otto answered on 11/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sanka- I'll Miss You

You just keep things picked up.

Keep them in closed drawers and if dirty, keep them in a covered laundry basket or put them in a laundry basket up high and out of reach.

Sanka- I'll Miss You answered on 11/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

A dog's sense of smell is incredible. It is possible your mom's hormones are ummm, settling in to a different pattern (pre-menopause?)The pheramones would be quite different & sounds like attractive to your dog. Beyond management (keeping them away from her) perhaps increasing the lap time she gets with your mom will help flood her with the new mom-smell. i know this sounds a bit gross, but dogs will be dogs. lol