Riley

Why in the world do some people eat DOGS?!?!..

Like China and Veitnam(I heard)....thats sad though...I'm am highly curious..

Asked by Riley on Mar 29th 2011 in News & Events

Answers

Why in the world do some people eat PIGS!!? Or COWS!?
Really it's a cultural thing- to them, dogs are not pets but livestock. And honestly, pigs are as smart or smarter than dogs, and cows are pretty darn sweet and cute too, so where do you draw the line? Would you like someone from India to come and tell you that eating beef is sick and wrong? (which is truly how most Hindus feel about it, to them, cows are sacred.) Not that I'm saying eating dogs is okay, but you have to put it in perspective.

And for the record, the country that eats the most dogs is probably Korea, and it's not terrifically common there either, actually, as the country becomes more developed and Westernized.

Cricket

I have to second what Bruno said - we have our own cultural beliefs on what makes an animal food, and other cultures have theirs. It's not really fair to force that onto others. In some cultures and religions - most notably Hinduism - cattle are considered sacred. In many places in India, there is a ban on cattle slaughter - injuring or killing one can put you in jail (similar to laws concerning dogs and cats here). Even though it would be considered disgusting and repulsive to them, we munch down hamburgers without a second thought. Just because something seems sad to us doesn't make it intrinsically wrong.

Dog meat is still occasionally consumed in China, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Korea, though as these countries become more "Westernized" there is growing support for the idea of dogs as pets rather than a food item.

Cricket answered on 3/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They view dogs no different than the way we view cows, pigs, chickens, deer, or other animals that are hunted and consumed.
There are a lot of countries besides China that have dog on the menu. I think China stands out for most people because of the way some killed the dogs before consumption.

Halo

Even if it is a "pet" to them, it's a pet in the sense the hogs, pheasants and chicken I raise are pets to me. Yes i love them, give them the best captive life I can while they are here, then kill, butcher and eat them. And yes they are named.

My youngest grandaugter asks "Who's for diner?" Not what's for diner. I tell her to go see who's missing and she does, then comes back and informs me who we are eating. If no new animals are missing, she knows it's Little Boar (Hog from last fall) or venison.

Perfectly normal when you live in a subsistent farming or sustainable way. Though never my own, i have eaten dog, cat, horse, even rat when traveling to nations that normally eat those things. I have Tilapia in a tank in my living room and will go net one out for diner at times, some would have a problem even doing that. All in where you place the animal - too close to family member or human, and you won't eat it. More of a simple living object and, it's diner.

Halo answered on 3/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Samson

I of course understand the cultural differences but I still...I don't know. There's nothing that would ever make me consider this okay. The type of bond a dog can form with people no other species on this planet is capable of, not to that extent. That's just my two cents though.

What I really wanted to add is that I believe they have a specific "breed" of dog that they farm for meat. It isn't like they are eating any type of dog they see, there is a certain kind specific for meat.

Samson answered on 3/30/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

seriusly , u say its in the culture ? its more like they eat mostly animals can be eaten in the most of the contrys, why do we human call dogs our best friend oye : Dogs were domesticated from gray wolves about 15,000 years ago.[6] They must have been very valuable to early human settlements, for they quickly became ubiquitous across world cultures. Dogs perform many roles for people, such as hunting, herding, pulling loads, protection, assisting police and military, companionship, and, more recently, aiding handicapped individuals. This impact on human society has given them the nickname "Man's best friend" in the western world. In 2001, there were estimated to be 400 million dogs in the world. tell me if a pig can do that and a cow or cat or a monkey whatever. I think dogs is more closer to us then any other animal.

Molly

To the person that said dogs share a bond with people that no other animal is capable of. This is not true. I have seen horses bond to humans just like a dog does. I have also seen pigs, chickens, rats, goats, sheep, birds, and a huge variety of other animals that bond with humans much the same way a dog does. Just because dogs are a popular pet in the USA doesn't mean that other animals don't bond the same way. Every animal has its individual personality and people preferences.

As for why other cultures eat dogs and cats I suppose it is for the same reason why people eat horses, cows, and chickens. You forget in many places dogs and cats are the best viable food source.

Molly answered on 7/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Isabella

i dont understand the need to eat ANY animal. :

Isabella "Bella" answered on 9/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer