Why doesn't my dog want to play?

We adopted a dog last week from a shelter. He is a 7-yr-old purebred Wheaton Terrier given up by his family since they couldn't afford him. He's very well trained and hasn't had any accidents.

He's got tons of energy and loves to go on walks, but when we're not on walks, he just lays around the house and sleeps. We have several different toys and he occasionally shows some interest, but very little and won't play with them. At the pet store, he had zero interest in any new ones.

He DOES NOT do well with other dogs at all, so we can't take him to a dog park (suggested in some similar answers). He is older, so is it OK for him to just sleep all day? He gets 1-2 hours worth of walks every day right now (we live in a condo so we don't have a backyard, but a huge park right across the street). Once winter comes though, it will be hard to walk him so much and we want to stimulate him with play, but he's not interested!

Asked by Member 768027 on Nov 14th 2008 Tagged play, walk, rescue, shelter, seniordog, sleep in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

My dog "grew out" of toys when she turned 8 years old.
I was able to teach her to catch things on command by puting cheese on the end of a Frisbee and eventually I was able to get her to catch it. I then worked on catching other items with her.
Not all dogs are motivated by food like me dog is though. You have to find what motivates your dog and use that to teach him
Another way to give your dog exercise is to prepare some jumps and teach him to jump over them on command. I also do that with my dog. It took several months for her to get it down pat, though. I started with a metal bar and put on two chairs. I blocked the sides so she couldn't go around and I wouldn't let her go under it. Once she got really good at jumping, I'd have one side unblocked and make her start over if she tried to go around. As she got better, I eventually built up to where she will jump just about anything. She can't jump very high though since she's an old girl.

Cookies 'n' Creme (1998-2011) answered on Nov 14th.

Answers

Jett

Well, if he is 7 years old, he may have a lot of energy, but dosen't like toys. My 5 year old Large Standard Poodle never goes after a toy. I don't know I guess it's just what your dog is like. If you want to play during the wintertime, dogs love to chase people. What worked with my dogs was to put treats in a sock, and tie the sock up, and throw the sock and see if he can smell the treats in there and go after it. it worked with my dogs, but I have no idea to get him to play with doggy toys. Good luck!

Jett answered on 11/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007*

I adopted Sharna when she was 5 years old and she passed when she was 7.5 years. During the time that we had her I never once saw her play with toys and no matter how hard I tried she never showed any interest. All she wanted to do was cuddle and sleep. Some dogs are just like that, it's their personality. Maybe when they were a puppy no one taught them how to play or they just dont have the energy.

Sharna *2000 - Sep 2007* answered on 11/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

LOL..... My pup never played with um till he was ......?...?.....5ish!