why does my shih tzus face smell bad?

My Shih tzu one and ahalf years old face always stinks.

Asked by Member 552814 on Jan 1st 2008 in Grooming

Best Answer

Jesse

Well I have good news for you.Not only am I a Vet Tech&a groomer but I also own a Shih Tzu!! Several reasons why it's face stinks.Most Shih Tzu's have eyes that drain as well as hair on their face.If the wetness isn't kept dry&the hair trimmed then they smell.An idea pick up or order a small(mini)hand held clipper&have your groomer show you how to use it.Most groomers would be happy to show you so that your pet can live a healthy life.If your groomer won't take the time call your Vets office&ask if one of the Techs have time to show you how.One of them should be happy to do so.By keeping the hair off it will make it easier to keep the area dry so that the skin in that area doesn't break down&become infected.The one thing that works good to keep the area dry&clean,buy some anti- bacterial hand wipes or baby wipe cut them into 1/4&use them 2 x a day.Keeping that hair off is the most important,that's what holds the moisture.the clippers will be worth it&cost about $20ish Good luck

Jesse answered on Jan 2nd.

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

I think that it may be a "characteristic" if you will of Shih Tzus. My baby Tiffy has a doggie cousin pebbles who is a 7 year old Shih Tzu. She always has that doggie smell, especially her face. Whenever she comes to visit Tiffy and they get to playing, Tiffy always ends up smelling just like Pebbles and Tiffy never ever smells like a dog. Try using some herbal peppermint dog shampoo. It also helps with fleas and ticks and itching.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 1/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~

I don't understand this question. Is it the breath that smells bad or the skin? If it is the breath, they may have dental problems or need a professional teeth cleaning. If it is the skin, they are having a reaction to something they are eating or an allergy. I would talk to your vet.

~Angel (RIP 11/20/07)~ answered on 1/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Penelope

If her eyes are runny it could be that. You just need to wipe them whenever you see them running. that stuff can smell pretty bad.

Penelope answered on 1/2/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Candi

Well this answer could be alot of things. It could be eye gunk. Candi gets that sometimes and i have to wipe it off because it smells bad. If it smells really bad i would take your dog to the vet and see what is wrong! I hope this helps.

Candi answered on 1/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer