Apollo

Why does my puppy try to chew his toys on me?

Hello Everyone,
I will clarify my question a bit. My almost 6 month old has started this habbit of trying to chew everything on top of me. He will bring me his bone or toy and put it on my lap, leg basically anything he can reach and chew it there and im really not sure why. If he cant reach me or my boyfriend he will put his head on the bed and chew it there to.

We do take the toy away, say "no" and put it back on the floor for him to chew there but he just brings it back, tried ignoring the behaviour because we thought he does it because he knows he will get attention but that also does not work. So why is he doing this and how can i get him to stop?

Asked by Apollo on Nov 30th 2009 in Chewing

Best Answer

Mikey

Mikey will do this, a little bit, too.
I don't discourage it one bit. I find it cute that he wants to share his toys with me. I don't find anything wrong with it and I like the fact that he doesn't have any guarding issues around his toys.
Mikey won't even chew on a toy if I'm not in the room with him.

Sounds like Apollo just wants to share his goodies with you. That's all.

Mikey answered on Nov 30th.

Answers

Shiver Me Timbers

My Beagle loves to do this to me, my family members and the other dogs. It's his way of asking us to play or showing us a form of affection. I actually find it very cute and see no reason for correcting it, as he's not bothering anybody and never does it to strangers. When Charlie is asking for attention, he'll sit pretty.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 11/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I do that to my person constantly too! I will switch toys if she doesn't play with me, but she usually will throw the toy across the room & then i go choose something else!

A lot of dogs do this. Some people maintain this is the a display of dominance, but I don't agree. I think it's a display of affection or "sharing" the experience with you and that's why he's doing it.

Personally, I wouldn't discourage him from doing it unless you find it unpleasant in some way.

I find it really endearing when Jack does this!

I find it very annoying, mine does this all the time. I put it down on the ground and tell her to lay with it. If she doesn't, I throw it to an inaccessible part of the house. This has proven to be ineffective because she still tries it all the time and is not detracted by the removal of the toy. So good luck.

Not only do my poodles do that with me, but they also do it with each other. Someone is always using another one for a chewing pillow. I, too, find it a sign of companionship and affection and it makes me happy!