Why does my pit bull have large scar down the length its back, I have seen this scar on other pits?

My pittie is a rescue, I'm pretty sure he was found after somebody attempted to fight him. I have seen a couple of other dogs with this same scar. Dogs that were definitely intended to be fighters. For what reason do people inflict this particular injury upon pit bulls???

Asked by Member 922656 on Nov 25th 2009 in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

♣Duchess♣

It seems pretty obvious that someone fought your dog. A lot of people fight pit bulls and that must have been where your dog got his scar. And i do not know why people would want their dogs to fight, one of them has to lose!! Pit bulls are beautiful dogs, like you, i cannot figure out why people would want to hurt them!!! You are lucky to have a pit bull!! Happy Thanksgiving!! -Duchess

♣Duchess♣ answered on 11/26/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It depends on what the scar looks like. Is it fine and linear, straight like a pencil mark? Or is it less perfect and sort of almost splotchy with patchy hair loss? If that's the case, it could be an acid scar.

Terrible, stupid people who breed fighting dogs throw sulfuric or hydrochloric acid on their dogs in the hopes of making them mean.

This is a common scar for bully breeds, as well as having the acid thrown on their muzzle.

Why anyone in their right mind would hurt a dog like this is beyond me. But that's the type of scar most common on the back like that.

I'm glad you rescued him. He's lucky to be away from whomever he was with before.

I don't have an answer but I have a great dane with the same kind of scar. She was a rescue also. We were able to deduce that she had pups taken away at around 4 weeks. What are some other causes of that type of scar? I have heard forced breeding. Our dog is also extremely sensitive to noise and is very anxious even though we've had her almost a year and a half now. We love her so much and we wonder every single day about her life before we got her. The rescue had no info on her previous home.

Bella

since fighters dont take care of their fighting dogs, i.e they do NOT feed them well(hungrier dog-meaner dog), not a lot of normal dog excersize(excesive weights and tread mill), they could care less about clipping their nails(more damage apon the other dog) then its most likely a scratch from an opposing dog "mounting" your dog while fighting. if you've seen this on multiple dogs then thats most likely what it is.. i have 2 pits(NOT FOR FIGHTING) but they get pretty rowdy and they hop all over eachother..

Bella answered on 7/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer