why does my old dog follow me everywhere?

My 14 year old Golden Retriever follows me everywhere in my tiny one bedroom. He MUST be near me even when I go to the bathroom. He has arthritis, hip issues, eats EVERYTHING and seems partially blind. I feel so guilty if I leave him...

Asked by Member 1103601 on Apr 1st 2012 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Cody

He must love you a lot. My dog follows me everywhere too! But I don't find it annoying. It's actually extremely cute. I own a Shetland Sheepdog. I was going through photos of animals on google images and i found a photo that spoke out to me. It said "You have work, family, friends, TV, your computer and a car. But all I have is you, every time you leave me it feels like forever" and next to the words there was a picture of an Old Dog. You've probably seen it too. But I think that is the reason. Your dog probbly also looks at you as his/her pack leader.

Cody answered on 4/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Shasta

I definitely agree with Cody. He just wants to be with you. If it is something fairly recent, it also could be he's trying to tell you something such as he's in pain, insecure about something.

I also know a 13yr old black lab who follows her owner EVERYWHERE... the main reason is because she was a guide-dog up till she was 4yrs old [she retired early because her stomach was annoyingly sensitive and she needed special care]. But I am assuming he has never been a seeing-eye...

My pit bull mix also does that [he is only 1yr] when he's in a new place. It's so cute, I take him & Shasta to a big open field, Shasta gallops around, but Otto stays within 20ft of me... he finds protecting me to be much more appealing than a big open space.

Also took care of a 1-person-Min Pin for a few days... he wouldn't even take a NAP without me there, it was so stinking adorable!

Shasta answered on 4/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Star

If the dog is starting to lose his sight, he may be using you as his guide around the house because he can smell you and trusts you to take care of him. My 16 year old used to follow me all the time. I called him my velcro dog because he was always at my side. I enjoyed him being at my side even though it was a pain at times. But after he passed, I missed him and felt funny not tonhave him with me at all times. Just treat himwith respect and enjoy the time with him.

Star answered on 4/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer