why does my female pomeranian stink? i bath her and she still smells but my 2 males dont smell at all.

Asked by Member 864669 on Aug 5th 2009 in Pomeranian

Answers

Pippin

Hi, it could be a bad tooth, the food the dogs eats, impacted anal gland, infection etc.

Take your dog to the vet and find out what is wrong. Female dogs, and males for that matter, don’t stink unless something is wrong.

Pippin answered on 8/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I agree. It could be the ears too, but it is more important to take it to the vet than for us to suggest what it might be. The vet knows to check the ears and if it is the ears, you must get an antibiotic from th evet to fix the problem.

Your pom may have excess yeast bacteria in her skin, coat or even blood.

My mom can help with food suggestions and supplements.
My Mom is Pet Nurse Marie -
You can contact mom here :
mtnmom@gci.net

Katie

Hi there,

You don't mention her age, but if she hasn't been spayed yet, that might help with this issue (in addition to protecting her from breast cancer, and saving unwanted offspring from the shelter). My brother's family had a purebred Pom for many years, and she developed hormonally-related skin and "smell" issues. She ended up losing much of her fur, but if she had been spayed, it would not have been so severe.

Diet can also have a lot to do with your dog's odor (or lack thereof). Check her food ingredients label and see if there is corn, wheat, soy, or gluten in her food. Your dog may be sensitive to any of these. She may also be sensitive or allergic to chicken, beet pulp, or any number of possible ingredients. The vet can advise you on trying an elimination diet, where you start feeding low-allergenic foods such as lamb and barley, then slowly add other ingredients to see which trigger problems.

Other than that, I agree with the others - ask the vet! Good luck!

Katie answered on 8/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kujo

adding where the smell is coming from would help to pinpoint the issue. It could be an ear infection, rotting tooth, yeast infection, or a leaky anal gland. Best bet is to have a vet check her out. Good luck

Kujo answered on 2/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer