cho cho

Why does my dogs penis come out?

Asked by cho cho on Feb 2nd 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

Well this happens with pretty much all male dogs.Some do it more then others. I have 3 males and Haus does it when he is relaxed it just peaks out.We call it his little pink man LOL It will be fine,it normally happens when they sit you don't need to worrie about it getting infected or anything they normally take care of all the cleaning on their own.If you feel the need to clean it for him only use warm water and a paper towel.No baby wipes or anything with chemicals in them or you will cause more trouble for him. If you are having a problem with it poking out and getting stuck out then that is an issue for your Vet to fix. It can be a serious problem.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on Feb 3rd.

Answers

Beau

If you mean that your dog is neutered and he is just sitting around and his penis hangs out - well, my male (neutered) dog does the same thing. I asked my vet why he did that. She said that some dogs are just 'outties' and the penis is a muscle like any other and when he was relaxed it would hang out. The only issue is it can get infected from hanging out. So, if he does not clean it regularly, then you need to clean it with either a warm damp cloth or a baby wipe. He's not aroused or anything, so that's not an issue. Now, if your dog is not neutered, then all the above does not apply.

Beau answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Adding to what Beau said, an uneutered dog's penis will come out when sexually aroused.

Dogs have something called the Bulbus Glandis. Whether neutered or not, when a dog becomes very excited or stimulated (and it's NOT necessarily a "sexual" thing) the bulbus glandis will swell due to increased blood flow and the penis will protrude from the prepuce (the sheath of skin that covers the penis). You will notice, if you want to look, that, when the penis is protruding, just cranial to where the testicles are/would be, there is a swelling. That is the Bulbus glandis.

The Bulbus Glandis is also the cause of the "coital tie" in mating dogs (the getting stuck part).

More than you ever really wanted to know?!!?!!