Why does my dog's lower lip move like he is cold?

I have seen a vet and my dog is about ten years old. He is a pomeranian schipperke mix and has one cataract in his eye and has heart problems but are gradually getting better. He just started moving his lower lip when I let him in from outside and I have no idea why. It did stop after a few minutes but i have no idea what caused this!

Asked by Member 988088 on May 20th 2010 Tagged cold, shiver, lowerlip in Answers

Answers

Juno

This could be something neurological, but I would guess it's more likely to be pain induced. Was he running around in the backyard? Are there any other pets who could have bumped into him?

The other possibility is a focal seizure, although unlikely. The only thing to do is keep an eye on it and see if it happens again, or gets worse/longer in duration. Then I would have him in right away.

Juno answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lots of dogs do a "lip chatter" where their lower jaw actually moves up and down very fast, sometimes you will even hear their teeth chatter together when they do it. In my opinion, it is usually when they smell something really good, like the scent of another dog or a mouse or something like that. Many male dogs do it when they smell a female in heat, some of my dogs do it when they find a particularily interesting dead nightcrawler to smell as well. If this sounds like what your dog was doing it is nothing to worry about, it is apparently a way for them to express their excitement at the smell.

Seth

I agree with Toto here. My older dog has done it all his life that I have had him. The smelling something thing is what often causes him to do this.

Seth answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer