Why does my dog wake up in the middle of the night throwing up?

I have a 10 month old huksy. He is a very healthy dog who gets lots of exercise and has a wonderful appetite. The past couple of nights he has woken up in the middle of the night throwing up. He throws up about 3-4 times. It's just liquid that he is throwing up and I believe it to be an orange colour, though it is hard to tell since he licks it right back up. He doesn't appear to be ill at all and in the morning he is full of energy running around. We have him on excellent food and treats. Has anyone else had this problem???

Asked by Member 800508 on Nov 12th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I did and it was the food. Check all ingredients that you don't recognize by Googling. I cannot remember the additive that caused this in mine, but when I googled it it named the symptoms, it is a form of poisoning and can cause stomach ulcers and erode the esophagus, besides the vomiying.
Dogfood companies change formulas, that is what happened with me. The substitution was to save them money, they were using a chemical substitute for a natural source they has used before.
For my girls it was a one day cure. I changed foods.
To be on the safe side bring your dog to the vet. But I'd also check those ingredients and probably change foods.

I have seldom had such problem and in 21 dogs, never had to change food to remedy a digestive problem. Of course, I don't feed ''Excellent'' foods. Could he have gotten into something, or have you been feeding anything new?

If you are only feeding once a day, you could try twice a day. By that age, many larger dogs do fine on one meal, but yours could be an exception.

canine vomiting at night; How about feeding him a small meal 2 hours before bed time.
Some wet canned quality dog food :
Innova , Wellness, Merrick , Solid gold -
and 2 teaspoons of low fat cottage cheese.
So 1/4 can of dog food and a little bit of cottage cheese or yogurt.
This will help to coat his belly.

If this doesn't help - see the vet.
Good luck
Marie and Miss Priss
www.apluspetcare.com