why does my dog smell like fish?

my puppy is 6 months and by her anal smells like fish everytime it does i take her a bath then it usually goes away but by the next day it smells again and i dont know what to do

Asked by Member 973348 on Mar 12th 2010 Tagged fishysmell in Puppies

Answers

More than likely, she has an infection and you should take her to the vet.

Girl dogs can have a vaginal infection that has a fishy odor and you will need some meds from the vet to cure it.

Also, sometimes, the anal glands can become impacted or infected and there is a characteristic foul smell that occurs with this.

Again, the vet can help you with a diagnosis.

It's not something to wait on, as she's likely uncomfortable and any infection in a dog can spread, and quickly. So please take her in a soon as you can. Good luck, hope she's better soon!

Coco

My lil Coco is going through that right now. We thought it was her Anal Glands. Got those checked and it was fine. The smell continued so we took her to the Vet and it turns out she has a UTI. She is on meds right now.

Just be very careful what they give her. My Coco got some Zeniquin and is having a bad reaction to it. She is throwing up, shaking and drooling. We had to stop it and now have to go back tomorrow to get her something else. Zeniquin is really strong and can cause reactions.

I hope your puppy feels better soon!.. Keep us posted!

Coco answered on 3/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer