why does my dog sit on my lap?

When my wife and I sit on the ground to be near our dog he will tend to get up and walk over and sit on our laps. He doesn't seem even close to comfortable half the time but he will always insist on doing so. Just curious... Almost forgot to mention that he is a 60lbs lab and hound mix adopted from the pound.

Asked by Member 873516 on Sep 3rd 2009 in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Patchs

He's showing you that he likes you, trusts you and wants to be close to you.

Contrary to some popular TV trainer's opinions this is not a show of dominance or that the dog wanting to take over you and your house. To prove this point, just stand up or move. The dog will show its respect by simply getting up and moving out of your way.

As the boss, you can (and should) remove the dog if or when you dont want it to do this. You should also be able to ask the dog to sit or lay next to you. On a daily basis I call my dogs over to me, ask them to sit with me and then dismiss them after a short time. This lets them know that I control thier movements and that I expect them to do as I ask.

They are both VERY happy to do as I ask because we are best friends and because of that they live to make me happy. They also know that they will get lots of praise, tactal rewards as well as a few tasty treats from time to time!!!

Patchs answered on 9/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

We have a 85-90 lb dog who lays on top of you every chance she has, she is showing her love to us and wants to be loved constantly.
It is natural.
She crushes me but I know she really loves me also:)
Once she crawled on top of my head in the middle of the night. :)

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 9/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think the TV trainer's point is that if the dog walks up and plonks himself in your lap uninvited, it can be a show of, if not dominance, then a lack of respect, and I agree. It's the "uninvited" part that's the problem. Teach the dog a cue that tells him "c'mon, let's cuddle", and another that tells him "no, not now". And maybe another one that tells him "get up! you weigh a ton!" :D