Why does my dog rip up feminine pads in the waste bin?

My 6 month old chihuahua knocks over the bathroom's waste bin and rips up used feminine pads inside it. I have to leave the door open for the little ones, so that is not an option.

Asked by Member 742726 on Sep 25th 2008 Tagged rippingchewingfemininepadswastebinbathroompuppy in Chewing

Answers

Jesse

Sorry I have no real insight, but Jesse does it too. We have no human kids though, so usually shut the door. I wonder if it is the odour? I'm sure you have noticed they like to roll in or eat anything foul, so possibly they think these are something foul smelling and yummy BOL. Blergh.

Jesse answered on 9/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Maya

Dogs like the smell. They are attracted to it partly because of it's nature, and partly because it smells like their owner. If you can put the basket under the sink, that solves the prob immediately. Or place it higher, like on a plant stand or somewhere equally inaccessable.

You can train him not to do it, but it takes constant vigilance because you must set the dog up for success EVERY time. He must not have free access to the basket which allows him to "sneak" a pad away to shred. Every time he gets one out, that rewards the behavior and if those rewards keep coming, even sporadicly, he will never stop doing it.

Best solution is simply find a way to eliminate his access to the basket. Only during supervised training sessions can it be on the floor.

For more details in training him to ignore the basket, message me. :)

Maya answered on 9/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥Tiffy♥

It's because he likes the smell of it. And it sounds kinds strange, but that's what dogs do. My Tiffy will go into the trash and get tissues that I have used to blow my nose with. She knows this is a no-no, but she does it anyway and she tries to do it when I am not looking. If it smells like you, they bask in it. Just like with socks or anything else.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 9/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer