Koji-san

Why does my dog refuses to go into his crate despite bribing?

My Shiba Inu recently turned 1. We used the crate method of housebreaking and he has been doing his business in the garden for 4 months now. The only thing is, it is a struggle to put him back into the crate at night. The first thing I thought him was ‘Den’. Now, even when we use the command or bribe him with toys and treats, it doesn’t work. Most of the time, we have to catch him and carry him in. Is there a reason why he is behaving this way? How do we get him to go into the crate by himself? We place his toys and bones and mattress in the crate to make him feel comfortable.

Asked by Koji-san on Apr 15th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

He is probaly in avoidance. And forcing him will make it worse, most dogs know when you want something. Some dogs are very stubborn, but also some will try to be smarter and try to be the boss. I would make sure it is big enough, He should be able to stand without hitting head and turn all the way around with no problems. Sometimes washing it with neutral cleaner and fresh softer blanket. I work on getting him to go in with the door open during the day use real meat, I use pieces of chicken, beef ect. let him sniff it and toss. When he is half way in use your Den command, if it has been negative for him you can retrain with another command with pieces of meat. Is there any other D word that could of accidentally a negative association with? like down? But, it is your choice of him being in it. good luck:)

Misty

Dieta has given you really good advice, not sure what to add. If there is the "D" word association you could try the "B" word...bed. lol Or maybe he pee'd in there and you haven't noticed and he doesn't want to sleep where he went potty. check his blankets, etc. and try cleaning out his crate. Otherwise, I would ask if his crate is big enough, too? Good Luck!

Misty answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

They say after 1 year old the pup can have free reign of the house. Koji may be trying to tell you he is ready to leave the crate behind! My Jack was very upset 1 day I put him in the crate before going to the grocery store. I told him he could stay out but this was his 1 chance. He has never had to step in the crate again. Maybe you could give Koji his chance.

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 4/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer