Why does my dog poo when shes scared

My 2 yr old mini poodle has no problem going outside but whenever she hears a loud noise like the garage door, a door slam,power tools,lawnmower or a car she poops wherever she is, sidewalk,car port, alley,even inside car whats up with that?

Asked by Member 940518 on Jan 23rd 2010 Tagged scary, pooping in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Have you had her the whole 2 years? if so, has she been behaving like that the whole 2 years or is it something new she just started doing? She needs to face her fears if you are to help her. You need to desensitize her. Expose her to the things she is afraid of one thing at a time. You can try getting a trainer to help you. Sometimes dogs will relieve themselves when they are scared or submissive. Good luck!

Fear commonly makes dogs and puppies need to poop. It's not uncommon at all.

What IS uncommon is that she does it right there, on the spot.

I would take her to the vet and mention this as a possible issue. There's a very good chance she's a perfectly healthy doggie who is just very sensitive and this is how her little system works. BUT, if she were my dog, I'd want to find out for sure that she doesn't have any kind of incontinence issues that can be helped.

Also, just building her confidence might help her be less reactive to noises and fear-inducing events.

A trainer can help you, usually in just one or two lessons, by giving you some basic tips on how to build her confidence in every day situations. It works well, especially for dogs like yours who are very sensitive. That might also help her poop issue.