Why does my dog nibble us like she's eating corn on the cob?

So my dog is about a year old. Not sure what breed because she's a mix. Recently, she's been "nibbling" my family constantly. The only thing is, she doesn't only do it to family members, she does it to blankets, couches, etc. It's annoying, and I tell her "no", but she goes right back to nibbling whatever it is that she was nibbling before I said it, like nothing really happened.
Does anybody know the reason why she does this?

{I've read that puppies usually do this when playing, but I'm not so sure she's just playing.}

Asked by Member 910515 on Nov 5th 2009 Tagged nibbling, puppy, girl in Chewing

Answers

my girls do this, well DID it, they don't seem to anymore. Reminded me of what they would do to themselves if they had fleas, that kind of nibble biting. They never had fleas so they didn't learn it from that, I just chalked it up to some kind of grooming/bonding behavior. Something pups did when they were young so the knew the scent and the "taste" of their clan.

Bridger does this & I am sure it is affection/grooming/bonding behavior.

It is a sign of affection... my guys do it to me and to each other, but only when they are feeling wonderful about life and happy.

try breaking up the behavior, place a toy in front of the mouth, if you have to place the toy in the mouth. Then move from that spot encouraging the dog to hold the toy or play with it. The more you discourage this the better, that way the dog learns to not do it in a more positive way with the toy.
This behavior can be for a number of reasons.

My 4yr old toy yorkie does it too. Not on clothes but on my arm or hand or feet. It tickles and he's very submissive and knows who's boss in my house so I don't think it's a sign of aggression at all. He does it when I rub or pet him. I think it's a form of affection on his part. He'll lick me then start to nibble like he's eating corn. The vet says his teeth are fine & really didn't know what to think of it. It doesn't bother me & if I say stop, he does. He's very passive, I just think it's his way of giving affection or grooming.