Why does my dog "nibble" us like he is eating corn on the cob?

When my Coonhound gets gets all worked up, he will do what we call the "nibble, nibble crunch". it looks like he is eating corn on the cob, up and down your arm or leg. He will also bite our behinds when he gets too worked up. Should I be worried? He is the greatest dog ever, but I have a little girl, snd he does not stop when you tell him to. we just put him outside until he calms down.

thanks!

Asked by Member 630060 on May 6th 2008 in Chewing

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

It is obvious that your dog is the leader and not the other way around. In the words of Ceasar Milan,you have to set rules, boundaries and limitations for him and be consistent. Everytime he starts the nibbling, you have to tell him no in a firm tone and mean it. If you keep at it, he will get that that is not what he should be doing. Consistency is key! Putting him outside until he calms down is not going to do any good. What is he learning from that?

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 5/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

If he's a puppy, this is a very common and understandable behavior. Dogs play with each other this way, and if he's not learned that this is unacceptable with humans. That's not to say he feels he is Alpha Dog. He just hasn't learned it, yet, and he gets super excited and does what comes naturally for him. So, you need to teach him. No biggie.

When he bites during play, yelp loudly like a puppy would if you stepped on his foot. Then, turn your back and give the dog no eye contact or anything that indicates playtime or affection or communication for at least 30 seconds. Once the dog has calmed down, you can go back to playing. Make sure EVERYONE who plays with him does this....this is exactly what his mom and litter mates would have done and so it is the most effective way of teaaching him since it is easy for him to understand. Expect results in about a day to a week, depending on the dog.

Best part? No negative assoc. with you & results are usually permanent w/this technique!

He could be playing, but in any case biting of any kind should be discouraged.
How to discourage it? When you're playing with him or petting him, and he starts biting, STOP the play cession. He has to know that biting equals the fun stopping. Reward him for not biting.

TK, CGC

I don't know what that little nibbling is. One of my dogs does it (we call it "flea biting") to blankets and pillows when he's just chilling out. Sometimes when he starts playing with my other dog he'll do that little flea bite on her.

TK, CGC answered on 5/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cami

My dog does the nibbling thing too! She'll usually grab a toy and do it when she's in a hyper mood and she'll do it on our sleeves if we're on the floor with her occasionally, but never biting (and she's very submissive so i don't think the nibbling is an alpha thing)... it's nice to know there are other 'special' dogs out there ;-)

Cami answered on 5/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chloe

My dog also does this! She typically does it at night, when we're sitting on the bed getting ready to go to sleep. She always does it on some sort of cotton surface, like my sweatshirt, the pillow, or the sheets or comforter. We asked the vet about it, and she said its just something some dogs do; it doesn't really mean anything particular.

Chloe answered on 5/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Caramel

If he's a puppy, then he's playing. Dogs play this way. If he doesn't learn, then do as followed: If he starts nibbling, do not look at him and do not give any communication with him. When he calms down, start playing again. But if he keeps biting, keep avoiding his actions and don't do any actions to him. He'll be fine, and you'll be fine!! Hope this helps!!

Caramel answered on 5/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

yeah my dog does this too. i always thought he was cleaning his teeth because one time we made him stop for like a month and he got a couple cavaties in his bottom front teeth. but i read that the vibration scares the fleas away