Why does my dog have a completely purple tongue? It has always been this color and she is healthy.

Her tongue is completely purple and yet she is healthy as far as we know. She is a normal dog that's very active and loves to eat. Very loving and extremely protective, so protective that just today she tried jumping our fence to attack a stranger walking up the street. This scares me so i am gonna look into some training for her but the purple tongue has us confused. Does anyone possibly know why it may be purple?

Asked by Member 1099531 on Mar 13th 2012 Tagged purpletongue in Mixed Breeds

Answers

She could have some chow in her. They have purple tongues :)

Chow Chows, I believe, have purple tongues. It's just pigment. And if I remember correctly, it is indeed a reliable indication of the presence of Chow in the genes. (Whereas having a tongue with purple *spots* isn't. Many dogs of many different breeds have this feature. My GSD had a couple of spots on her tongue.)

To add one more thing...

Chinese Shar Pei also have purple tongues. A lot of people think Chows (and Chow mixes) are the only dogs with purple tongues, but it's not true.

Guest, you should do a google image search for "Chow Chow tongue" and "Shar Pei tongue" to put your worries to rest. There's nothing wrong with having a purple tongue.

Shasta

Yes definitely she's probably got Chow or Shar Pei. Our Black Lab, Cassy, gets accused for having Chow in her though because of a purple spot on her tongue [and many are at the back of her tongue... just nobody can see them... I mean who wants to look at the back of a dog's throat? haha] but All she is - is Lab with 1/4 GSD. :) Nothing at all to be alarmed about whatsoever. (:

Shasta answered on 4/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer