Shai

Why does my dog fart so much?

I changed up my dog's food in January to Purina Natural Dog Selects (Salmon & Brown Rice). Shai originally had tried it before but only got a "free sample" that lasted about a month and she did fine. Now, after a month she has been farting like crazy. The farts started out as "silent but deadly" but now they're just really quiet and no smell. Don't get me wrong, i'm not complaining because my dog doesn't clear a room when she farts, but i was wondering if it was "healthy" for her to be farting multiple times throughout the day?

Asked by Shai on Feb 5th 2008 Tagged gas, fart, flatulence in Other Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

It takes up to 6-8 weeks for your dogs body to adjust to the new food and this could be the reason why she is passing gas.
Purina products are not the best you could be feeding.I know you said it was Salmon and brown Rice but that is only 2 of the ingredients in it.Compare to these products at oldmotherhubbard.com the Wellness foods are great.If you see that your food has words you can not pronounce then it's time to change food.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on Feb 5th.

Answers

Koda

She might just be ingesting too much air when she eats. If she gulps down her food put it in a treat ball so she will have to eat slower. Honestly, I used to give Koda the Nature's Variety Prairie Salmon and Brown Rice and that gave him the worst gas. It wasn't often but when he did WOOOOOO! it brought tears to my eyes it was so bad. And it wasn't sbd, we'd be out in public and people used to look at me like I did it. I would think geez people, it smells like salmon butt over here who do you really think was the culprit? I give him other flavors now and I haven't had an issue....yet.

Koda answered on 2/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I think that if the dog has that much gas, it is more than safe to assume that the food is not agreeing with her.

After a few weeks, she should eventually get used to the new food. If you think she's had enough time to adjust, you might consider a higher grade dog food.

Frankly, Purina isn't really good stuff, even that line that is labeled natural.

Wellness Brand (Jack loves the Super 5 chicken mix kibble and same formula meat) is great.So is Innova, Canidae or Eagle Pack.

Of those, Wellness is usually the easiest to find and also the less expensive of the group.

Definitley take time to transition again to any new food. Be sure to feed a combination of dry and wet food, at about 60/40 wet/dry. Kibble only can be like feeding only carbs, even if the protein content looks high on the label.

nikki

it is maybe beacuse she has alot of gas try to take her for more exercize and she might lose some of the gas this hapened to nikikk you jst have to walk her more

hope i have helpped
paws out if she dose not change try taking her to the vet but i am possitive if you take he for more walks she will calm down thanks xxxxx

nikki answered on 2/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer