why does my dog chew my kids belonging?

I am 9 years old and my dog won't stop chewing me and my brothers belongings.
He would chew my stuff animals and he would chew my
brothers pacifier.Please help!

Asked by Member 1140216 on Nov 11th 2012 Tagged chewsstuffanimals, andpacifier in Behavior & Training

Answers

Put things away where the dog can not reach them.

Try this: get a handful of yummy treats..cheese, chicken, hotdog..cut into tiny pieces. Put one in your right hand..make sure dog sees you. Put a second one in your left hand & hide that hand behind your back. Hold out your closed right hand..dog will sniff, paw, nibble..trying to get treat. As SOON as he stops..say "good dog' & immediately give the treat from your LEFT hand. Repeat, until the dog leaves the right hand alone when you hold it out.
Now: add the verbal cue "leave it" when you hold your right hand out. Treat & praise when she leaves it. Never give the treat from your right hand, always give the hidden treat. Next step is to put the treat in your open hand & practice "leave it. Then put treat on the ground..be ready to cover it if you need to. This can take awhile, so don't give up.
Once dog knows this, use "trade" when he chews on stuff he shouldn't. Have a treat ready, hold it in front of nose.When he drops your stuffie, give treat, tell him to "leave it." Put it away.