PAPAS

Why Does My Chihuahua Have Black Scabs On Tips Of Both Ears??

I have a 7 month old Chihuahua who has developed Black Scabs on Tips of both ears, I know it is not Ear Mites can anyone help me out and tell me what he has and what I can do at home to treat it, I've been using antiobiotic ointment as well as vaseline already. It does not bother him at least I dont think so he does not scratch his ears nor does it seem like he has any pain. One of the little scabs has came came off and you can see a little bit of flesh. Also I just recently changed his food, could that be a problem??? If anyone has any suggestions please help my lil Papas... Thanks....

Asked by PAPAS on Dec 23rd 2007 in Skin Problems

Answers

Have them looked at by a vet if you are worried about it a lot.

If you're absolutely sure that it is not flea or ear mite related, then it is best to take him to the vet for a definitive diagnosis.

Some dogs actually get a condition that causes "chapped ears" which is very similar to when people get chapped hands or lips in the cold, winter weather.

The basic treatment for this is pretty much what you're doing with the vaseline or even some Nesporin, but the vet will probably have a salve or ointment that works even better/faster.

I doubt this is food related, unless there are other food allergy symptoms, which would be red, itchy paws or itchy face or recurrent ear infections.

Finally, he could be irritating the skin on his ears by some behavior that you're not noticing or he could even have an allergy to laundry detergent, or something like that.

It is important to figure out exactly what this is. More than likely, it is just dry skin, though.

Chis and doxies are prone to this sort of thing with their ears, for some reason.

Cocoa Bean

It could be a fungus. I got Cocoa back from a dog keeper after my trip and I found scabs on the back of the ears... flakes would come off dragging the fur along.It was not painful at all but since my sister is a Dermatologist I asked her to take a sample of this flakes to be looked at under the microscope. What she saw was a fungus lesion that we treated with anti fungal creams just like the ones you can find at the supermarket. The problem lasted no more than a week, but you have to be sure to wash your hands properly after cleaning the scabs, Iam sure you dont want to spread the problem to other parts of the body of your pet, or other pets.
If you cant get an appointment with the vet soon to look at the scabs and the lesions are not painful or debilitating your dog, the lest you can do is keep his ears clean and dry.

Cocoa Bean answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chloe

Let's see, you've used antibiotic ointment...not bacterial, vaseline for dryness, and changed food because you thought it was allergies. I hate to tell you this, but all your efforts were futile because this is something only your vet can diagnose and cure.

The reason I say this is because there are two kinds of mites, (not within the ear as it is immediately taken to be), but near the hair folicles...one in particular likes to cluster on the ear margins & make these crusts. Or, it could be a coincidence that a fungus decided to grow in that particular area. I'm pretty sure it's the "classic" appearance of the 2nd mentioned, but there are several ways for your vet to treat it and ONLY your vet can treat it.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but this is truely a condition for your vet to tackle.

Chloe answered on 12/24/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer