Why does a canine dental extraction cost so much more than a human one?

My dog, whom I just rescued, came with a badly broken tooth lower right , last tooth. The rest of his teeth and his gums are clean and pink. He doesn't need a cleaning, and I'm broke at the moment. I've been quoted 300 to 500 dollars. My boyfriend just had a tooth pulled, complete with general anesthesia for about 100. What gives? I love my dogs, and would do anything to keep them healthy, and pain free, but I feel that this is really taking advantage. Your thoughts? Thanks is advance, Jill

Asked by Member 817444 on Mar 19th 2009 in Dental Care

Best Answer

Seems a little high to me. I had my chihuahua's teeth cleaned and she had to have 2 pulled . It was around $150.00. 65.00 to put her under, first tooth pulled was $20.00. 2nd tooth included, rest was cleaning, and anitbiotics. I think I'd check around.

answered on Mar 19th.

Answers

Roger

Dogs don't vote.

In the UK, where I live, humans don't have to pay for all sorts of medical treatment. They pay through taxes, but not at point of use.

Dental treatment is fairly costly though, which might explain the English stereo-type of the rotten-toothed rotter.

Dogs rely on humans to pay for their treatment, but the vet will have to pay for the full cost, there is no subsidy - no government funding.

You need to adapt this concept for whatever the arrangements are in your country.

Pets' surgery is costed precisely according to the resourses used.

Here, we have the PDSA, who offer free vetinary treatment for those who can't afford it,

Roger answered on 3/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs don't have dental insurance. :)

I would call around, I was nutured for $45 and had 2 teeth pulled at the same time for $15more each tooth. It was not a low cost vet the nuture was low cost, threw friends of animals , they were baby teeth, but teeth are teeth.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

You should call around.
I mean if the tooth is pullable it is usually 20 dollars.
But, if the tooth is in the rear and they want to do root canal that can cost anywhere from 600. and up.
Is the tooth broke too far down? If so they will have to sedate the dog and cut it out partial that could be why it is costing so much.
Ask them if they take payments I did that once on a root canal.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 3/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer