Why do my dogs prefer to sit near me instead of my husband?

I have a pug and a golden retriever. Both are extremley affectionette all the time. The golden is 5 years old and the pug is 1. Is it a dominance thing where they think of me as their equal and my husband as 'our' leader. Or is it an affectionette trait. They will even leave very cozy and comfortable spots on the couch next to my husband to lay at my feet on the carpet. They also prefer to lay down near a gate into another room Im in instead of on the couch with my husband.

Asked by Member 983461 on Apr 24th 2010 Tagged husband, dominance, affection in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Some dogs just prefer to choose one person to really form a bond with. My GSD is like that with me--she is friendly in general, but will only bond with a few select people. Me, my grandmother, and a few family friends.
So, yeah, affection thing.

My dogs like me better than my husband. They just have a stronger bond with me. My husband is just their play toy. I'm sure it's the same with you.

Vivace

In our house, Vivace is very much mine and my oldest son's dog. She will follow me around the most though but goes to him when she wants to play.

Now Skippy couldn't care if I was around when my bf and daughter are home. He prefers them over anyone.

I think that dos just have certain people they prefer to chill out with. They pick their people.

Vivace answered on 4/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hector

My oldest dog Hector is without a doubt my dog. He doesn't like very many people, but the few he does, he really loves them. With that being said, He still obsesses over being near me. Even if I have to move to a guest room for back issues, I will usually close the door to keep him from going in there with me, as the bed is too small for both of us. Instead of going back to our bed, he will lay at the door and scratch at it until I give in and let him in.

My other 3 dogs, don't seem to have a preference. The love us both equally, but tend to follow me, as I am the primary care giver, (baths, food, play etc.) But Hector is just not happy unless he can see me or be near me. He will even lay in front of bathroom door for me to come out. He will jump in my bath with me if I forget to close him out of the bathroom. If there was ever a case of obsession, he would be it. We have an unbreakable bond, and it worries me that something should happen to me. I know he would greive miserably.

Hector answered on 4/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My 15 year old is my velcro dog. if i am around he is at my hip and will follow me where ever i go. Like said before, some dogs just like certain people better, no matter what that other person does. I also brought home a dog from the humane society that hardly ever pays attention to me but will sit on my moms lap all day if he could. No matter what i do, i amjust not his favorite. I just learned to live with it and i do not let it bug me.

It isn't dominance sounds like love and bonding.
My dog is mine. No doubt about that.
Then Bridget is mainly his unless I have food. Then little Baxter, well he is everyone's dog even a stranger. :) he is a little social nut.

Although humans want to give our traits to dogs in actuality it is probably not purely a love reaction. Although dogs do exhibit behaviors that indicate devotion, dogs are pack animals and much of their behavior is instinctual. Dogs in packs stick together, they sleep close to each other, and they sit close. Ever hear the old adage that there is power in numbers? It is a survival technique and provides them with a sense of safety.
If your dog follows you and sits right next to you all the time the dog probably loves and views you as the pack leader.