Roxy

Why do I itch so bad....

I've had flea treatments... flea baths and everything, but i still scratch and bite like there is something there. What could it be?

Asked by Roxy on Oct 10th 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Beach Angel Chelsea, CGC

Food allergies are a biggie these days.

Mama's second Shih Tzu was allergic to...chicken! All things poultry, actually. Britanny ended up being raised as a vegetarian (can you imagine a doggy vegetarian?) and all her itchies disappeared. She had allergies to an assortment of bugs as well but the chicken was the BIG one.

Tifanny was allergic to fleas. Even ONE would drive her completely insane.

Now me? Oh dear. Beef, venison, and corn are the bad guys for me. I get itchy and my skin turns red and blotchy. You know those bully sticks? Can't eat 'em. Nope. No way. Even at doggy school, I was the only one who couldn't eat most of the snacks Auntie Sue brought.

Check the labels of what you're eating. There's a good chance there's something you are allergic to. You have to slowly begin removing ONE ingredient at a time to check for food allergies.

There are some good holistic supplements available to help, too. Good luck!

Chelsea

Beach Angel Chelsea, CGC answered on Oct 11th.

Answers

ziggy

hi its ziggy again as i just answered your otha question and seems like you definately have some sort of allergy as you seem to be itchy and its not fleas.
You could be allergic to many things....theres pollen or if springs in the air you can itch more.
Some food can cause an allergy as well.
There could be mites biting you or something like that.
My mum has me on advocate and keeps all bitey things away from me.
See your vet and see what he thinks to do as we are all different and good luck.

ziggy answered on 10/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Baby (1996-5/5/07)

If Roxy got bit just once and is allergic to flea bites, it could be bothering him/her for days afterwards. Take Roxy to a vet and they can give him/her a course of steriods and that should clear things up. Also make sure Roxy doesn't get bit again, be diligent about flea control.

Baby (1996-5/5/07) answered on 10/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Oreo

Hey! I asked my vet the same thing because my puppy is always scratching and chewing at her skin like something is there.

Only put the flea control on once, or it could give the dog nerve problems or other related issues. Also bathing the dog too much will take away their protective layer of skin. Once, twice at the most for bathing the dog. If you do bathe them more use a nice conditioner only, that may help restore some of the natural oils in their skin or use a nice washcloth if possible.

Also as said before, could be problems with bugs :/

Hope she feels better!

Oreo answered on 10/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Meg

Sounds lke an allergy my second oldest dog becky (sadly missed) was allergic to everything from dust, tree and grass pollen, everything except bees which she caught and ate the nutter.
If she got bit by just one flea omg she would scratch and have her skin baldy overnight , her hair on her back would be thin and one time she smelled my case that I keep my Aromatherapy oils in and she started running around like her tail was on fire, within 10 minutes you could see bumps all over her like 20 stings, the vet always had to give her anti histamines by injection and she had pills but nothing could keep her properly "normal" until I bought a book at a sale about using Homeopathic medicine for family and Pets.
Now I am not telling you to go out and get a book and just buy these things but it is worth looking into I mentioned to my vet what I wanted to try and they weren't against it but not entirely sure either. I think it's because as people we have difficulty going against man made pills

Meg answered on 10/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer