Why do dogs eat feces from the cat litter box?

We clean the box daily and the dog will find it. He has been scratching like crazy...The 5 month old kitten is up to date with vet care. Can you advise?

Asked by Member 1046136 on Aug 16th 2011 Tagged labshepard, scratching, catfeces in Health & Wellness

Answers

Lexie

I have yet to see a dog that will not eat out of the litter box. The only thing that i founld that keeps them out is too put a baby gate up in the room were the litter box is the kitten can jump over. The dog can't if it small if you have a big dog you will have to get a big dog gate at the petstore that has a small door at the bottom of it so the cat can still get to the litter box. :)

Lexie answered on 8/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sometimes they do this because they're underfed or deficient in nutrients, but often it's just because a) they're bored and b) they can.

For our home, it's easiest to limit access. I also use the baby gate, but I leave a space of about 8 in. at the bottom so that the cat can scoot under (he's 8 yrs old, so he doesn't leap like a kitten too much), but the dog won't fit. I also clean the litter box more than I would if I didn't have a poo-munching dog.

Best of luck!

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

As for the itch....

It's not related to his cat-poop snacking.
He may have allergies.
Check for fleas and flea dirt.
If you notice fur loss and rash, especially if it's just little pimple like spots under the "pits" and lower belly. Then it's probably Sarcoptic mange. Sarcoptic mites DO NOT SHOW IN SKIN SCRAPINGS!!!
So sick of Vets trying to scrape for Sarcoptic, that works for Demodex, almost NEVER for sarcoptic mites.

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 8/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer