Why do dogs eat carpet?

My dog is ten years old and throughout her life she has occasionally eaten carpeting, various carpets, various locations. Can you offer reasons why she may be doing this and how we can deter her?

Asked by Member 805103 on Feb 16th 2009 Tagged carpet, eating in Swallowing Foreign Objects

Answers

Sampson R.I.P.

Well.. my first thought was something was spilled in that area that tasted good. This could just be a habit that has formed over the years and shes developed a taste for it. Almost like how some humans like to chew on ink pen tops or our nails. The only way I can think to deter her is to catch her in the act, tell her NO firmly, remove her from the area and focus her on something different to chew. You can also pour some bitter apple on the chew areas and anywhere you think she might go for next. Make sure it doesn't contain sugar because this will collect dirt and trash and leave nasty dirty spots in your carpet as well as attracting ants.

Sampson R.I.P. answered on 2/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer