Molly

Why do dogs chew?

I'm a 16 month old Labrador Retriever mix puppy. I love to chew everything and anything I can get my paws on.My mommy and i don't know why.

Asked by Molly on Jan 3rd 2010 in Labrador Retriever

Answers

Many dogs chew because they are bored. Alot of puppies chew, just for the heck of it.

You may want to get some new toys for the dog to chew on, i have always liked the nylabone but some people say the kongs also work. Give them something else to chew. You can try and spray bitter apple on thngs you dont want them to chew. sometimes that works. But i do agree about the being bored and just something fun to do.

dog proof the entire house.
Most dogs have different things they chew for, boredom, it feels great on the teeth, they like it, it is a stress reliever and it is a natural thing for them to do.
Try a black kong. and more yard play time.

Why do dogs chew on stuff? Because it's there!

Mentally, they love the stimulation and as someone here said, it's a soothing thing for them to chew.

It's also instinctive. Add to that the physiological reasons like teething and jaw exercise and no wonder they love it!

The problem is that they don't know what is appropriate to chew on and what isn't unless you show them.

Personally, I'd never punish a dog for chewing. I'm not saying you do that, I'm just saying in general, I think it's my responsibility as "momma" to make sure the dogs know what is theirs to chew on so I provide a ton of chewy, great things they know are theirs and they have access to at all times.

Black kongs are great for big chewers. Peanut butter, kibble or a piece of plain chicken in there is a super fun treat for them.

I'd not give rawhides or greenies because I personally don't feel they are safe.

Finally, dogs go through a second teething stage at 14-16 months when the adult teeth take root.

Angel

Younger dogs and puppies chew, because they are beginning to get there puppy or adult teeth in and the chewing makes it feel better.

Dogs will also chew on household items because of either boredom or they think its a fun toy.

There are many ways to stop the behavior for your benefit. Rope toys and nylon bones are good things to use. Kong toys with peanut butter and treats inside work great, freezing it works even better.

But household furniture can't be stopped as easily. Someone once told me that cayenne pepper paste works to stop dogs from chewing bandages. I have tried it on wood furniture and it does work!

Angel answered on 1/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer